Friday 18 May 2012

Review - City Of Lost Souls By Cassandra Clare

Spoilers from previous books are possible

"Jace is now a servant of evil, bound for all eternity to Sebastian. Only a small band of Shadowhunters believe he can be saved. To do this they must defy the Clave. And they must act without Clary. For Clary is playing a dangerous game utterly alone. The price of losing is not just her own life, but Jace's soul.

Clary is willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost?

What price is too high to pay, even for love?"
taken from Goodreads


Where do I begin with this wonderful book......

Firstly the Cover, I really like this and think the models on the front really capture the likeness's of Clary and Jace, and if I didn't know of the books would of felt inclined to pick the book up just on the cover alone.

We start off immediately where City of Fallen Angels ended, in this the 5th book of her Mortal Instruments series but saying that all of Cassie Clare's Mortal Instruments book are excellent stand alone books, with cliff hangers if you want to read just one.

 In these books, for anyone that hasn't read the previous books in the Mortal Instruments series, we have Magic, Werewolves, faeries, Warlocks, all set in modern day America, plus various European countries. Also Young love, Mature love, Gay love, and even a bit of incest, but these are just a tiny part of this 539 page book.

I can't tell you anything of the book in any great detail, as I'd be giving you spoilers and literally this is such an action packed book, every couple of pages would bring a spoiler!!! We get to see more of the characters in depth, and find out why some are as they are nowadays. We also see more of Jocelyn in this book and we have some new characters.
Cassie has also written them in a more adult theme, and there were some scenes that made me go Oooohhhh!!!! Maia, Alec and Magnus, will never be quite the same in my eyes.

To me, Clary is my daughter District YA, Jace is her partner and Simon our next door neighbour (although I'd like Simon to be her partner) and I of course am Jocelyn. I read the stories and we become them, I'd love to give you a story that I can liken from my past that would emulate their story, but alas we really never had that much excitement. Mind you having said that when I was 10, we went to live in Australia and en route we stopped in Cairo, we were warned before leaving the ship on no account to go to the Cairo museum as in the last couple of months before we arrived, two people had been taken to the Museum by fake policeman and been murdered. I was sitting in an outdoor cafe with my parents and little brother when a policeman came up and started to speak in very good English, and said he would like to show us around the Cairo Museum!!!! My Dad told him to push off, with that a cab pulled up and the Policeman grabbed my Mums arm and tried to get her into the cab, with the cab driver trying to push my brother and myself into the back on the other side!!!! My Dad did no more than punch the Policeman as hard as he could in the  face, grabbed my little brother and told us too run, run, run. I had my Mums hand and we could of won the Olympics, we ran so fast. We had a number of people running after us, police, cab driver and a number of Egyptian men, but we got to the boat, and they were shouting and screaming at us.... Luckily the boat left a couple of hours later, and these men stayed on the quayside until we left. My Dad would definitely of been Nephilim. But that is the wonderful thing with Cassie, she writes so descriptively and with such enthusiasm that that you do become the characters or at the very least find ways to relate to them.

I'm going to meet Cassie on the 26th May, and really can't wait to tell her what a superb writer she is, I think she would be my perfect dinner companion, and I want to know if in real life she has as much energy as her characters. The only thing that would make her books better is if she brought them out chapter by chapter, so we didn't have to wait another year for the next edition.

In my opinion The Mortal Instrument books are my favourite books of all time, and she deals with various issues in such an enlightened way.

Rating 5 Out Of 5

Published In The UK By Walker Books

This Can Be Purchased HERE and from Good Book Retailers

Review By SUE

3 comments:

  1. I just skimmed this as I haven't read it yet! Eeep! I can't wait to though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG This book is sitting on my shelf as I type. I don't know if It's the dust cover on the HB but I swear it Keeps glowing at me. Just two more review books to read and then I get this lovely all to myself

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG This book is sitting on my shelf as I type. I don't know if It's the dust cover on the HB but I swear it Keeps glowing at me. Just two more review books to read and then I get this lovely all to myself

    ReplyDelete